Sunday 10 November 2013

Invited to be in eSci Editorial Review Board of Ontology Development and Applications

I have received an email sent by Managing Editor Musarrat Nawaz inviting me to join the Editorial Review Board of the journal Ontology Development and Applications for a period of 2 years. The journal is, or will be, published by eSci Journals Publishing, based in Pakistan. According to the journal's Archives no issue has been published yet. As other eSci journals, this one too relies on article fees - 70-200 $ per article.

In evaluating this invitation, I came across Jeffrey Beall's Criteria for Determining predatory Open-Access, and his associated list of such publishers. eSci Journals Publishing was on the previous list, but not on the most current one. 

My own reaction: I find it reassuring that eSci Journals Publishing uses peer-review - but not that they invited me to serve in the Editorial Review Board of this particular journal, which I am not so competent to work for given the journal's thematic description

I will decline this invitation.

No comments: