Friday 1 July 2011

Brief report from the gathering in biosemiotics in New York

Last week I participated at the 11th gathering in biosemiotics, in New York City, where I as mentioned in a previous post presented my paper "Integrated biological individualism and the primacy of the individual level of biological organization". There were 5 or 6 questions/comments to my paper, of a mildly critical or generally positive character.

The first gathering to take place outside Europe was in many ways suspiciously similar to the past 10 European gatherings. There's a particular Umwelt to this event, which seems to follow it. Positively I can mention my observation that the overall quality of papers this year was high (though to the returning participant there's always a measure of repetition).

This was my fifth gathering. Earlier I have taken part in 2/Tartu (2002), 7/Groningen (2007), 9/Prague (2009) and 10/Braga (2010).

No comments: